A Family Buisness
The Herr family is proud of its heritage. It is with that pride that we would like to share a bit of the history of our funeral home and family with you.
Gottlieb Moritz Wilhelm came to Collinsville in 1851 with his parents. After serving with the Union Army, he went to work for the Peers Planning Mill where he learned the art of woodworking. In 1870, Mr. Wilhelm went into the business of furniture, coffin making, and undertaking. The business was first located at 208 E. Main St. in Collinsville. The business was then sold to Mr. John E. Schroeppel in 1906.
In 1914, Mr. Vincent A. Herr Sr. came to Collinsville, having worked for his father, Louis J. Herr in the Herr-Liese Undertaking and Livery Company in Belleville. He worked for Mr. Schroeppel for two years and then purchased the business for $7000. There were two buildings at that time; One a carriage stable on E. Church, and the other a tin building on N. Morrison.
Remodeling Through the years
After a few years, Mr. Vincent Herr Sr. moved from the building on Morrison to 300 E. Main St. where he was until October of 1928 when he purchased our present building from Mr. Peter Greive Jr. On May 31, 1928 an open house was held. An article from the Collinsville Herald on May 31, 1928, stated, "Today, Saturday, and Sunday will mark the formal opening of Collinsville's first funeral home. In accordance with the times, the Vincent A. Herr Undertaking Company recently moved from the main business district of the city to their beautiful new establishment just outside the business center." Through the years several remodeling projects have brought this building to its present condition.
In the later part of 1963, after seeing the need for a funeral home for the residents of the Caseyville and Washington Park area, the Herr family opened its Caseyville Chapel at 300 W. Lincoln.
Louis J. Herr, previously mentioned, owned and operated an undertaking establishment in Belleville. His son, Vince Herr Sr., was licensed as a funeral director and embalmer in 1906 and remained active in the business until his retirement in 1952.
His only son, Vincent Herr Jr., received his Illinois and Missouri licenses in 1932 even after an automobile accident as a child left him totally deaf. Along with his father he prospered in the business and in 1982 was recognized by the Illinois Funeral Directors Association for 50 years of service to the funeral profession. His two sons, Philip and Robert also followed in their father's footsteps. Philip became licensed in 1956 and Robert in 1967. Philip left the business after 20 years to open a gift shop business in the Ozarks. Philip returned in 1987 and along with Robert purchased Sunset Hill Cemetery in Edwardsville, Illinois.
The Herr & Sunset Hill staff continues the long-standing tradition of personal and caring funeral service.
Herr Family Photos
Louis Herr was born in Belleville and was a farmer and undertaker in the late 1800's. He was the founder of the Herr-Liesse Undertaking Company in Belleville.
"One of the greatest gifts God gives us is the ability to remember," said Robert Herr. This is one of the reasons why we have are dedicated to the preservation of funeral tradition.
Gottlieb Moritz Wilhelm opened a coffin making and undertaking business in Collinsville at 208 E. Main Street
Mr. Wilhelm sold the business to John E. Schroeppel.
Vincent A. Herr Sr. worked for Mr. Schroeppel for two years, and then purchased the business for $7,000. The Vincent A. Herr Undertaking Company had two buildings at that time; East Church and North Morrison. After a few years, Mr. Herr moved from the building on Morrison to 300 E. Main Street.
Mr. Herr purchased the building at 501 West Main Street from Mr. Peter Greive Jr. An article from the Collinsville Herald on May 31, 1928, stated, "Today, Saturday, and Sunday will mark the formal opening of Collinsville's first funeral home. In accordance with the times, the Vincent A. Herr Undertaking Company recently moved from the main business district of the city to their beautiful new establishment just outside the business center."
Large back parlor addition
Front porch addition
Side parlor on West side with restroom and lounge
New ground floor chapel seating a capacity of 225 people with casket selection room and arrangement office
Purchase of Sunset Hill Memorial Estates Cemetery
TDD Telephone Device for the Deaf
Remodel all of the Collinsville facilities